PAD: Peripheral Artery Disease: A build-up of plaque in the arteries reducing blood flow to the extremities, most commonly the legs.
Effects of PAD:
- Leg pain
- Fatigue when walking
- Difficulty standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Non-healing wounds (ulcers)
- Critical limb ischemia – an extreme condition caused by insufficient blood flow that may eventually require amputation
- Stroke – 3X more likely in patients with P.A.D.
Treatment for PAD:
Center for Vascular Medicine is a team of vein specialists offers innovative treatment options for many types of vasuclar disease. Our doctors specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of PAD, a common and sometimes deadly form of vascular disease.
At CVM patients are treated on an individual basis. Treatment will vary depending on the patient’s overall health and progression of their vascular disease. If you suspect you may have PAD, take our self-assessment quiz to see if you should come into one of our convenient Virginia or Maryland locations for a complimentary screening. Center for Vascular Medicine is an accredited vascular testing center offering FREE PAD screenings.
Do I have PAD?
P.A.D. Self Assessment Tool
If you can answer yes to any of the questions below, talk to your primary care physician or CONTACT OUR OFFICE to schedule an evaluation and screening for P.A.D.
CLICK HERE to download and print the questionnaire
1. (Yes or No) Have you ever been diagnosed as having poor circulation?
2. (Yes or No) Have you ever had surgery, balloon procedures or stents in your heart, kidneys, abdomen, legs or arms?
*If you answered “YES”, please have a list of the approximate dates of these procedures at the time of your appointment.
3. (Yes or No) When walking, do you experience aching, cramping or pain in your legs, thighs or buttocks?
4. If “YES” to question 3, when do you feel the pain?
- After walking 1 block
- Climbing a flight of stairs
- After walking 100 yards (length of a football field)
- Walking at increased speed
5. If “YES” to question 3, in what areas of the body do you experience pain?
- Head or neck
- Upper body
- PELVIC REGION
6. (Yes or No) If you do have pain, does it get better after you’ve rested?
7. (Yes or No) Do your feet or toes bother you most nights while lying in bed, with relief when they are dangled at the edge of the bed?
8. (Yes or No) Do you have painful sores or ulcers on your legs or feet that do not heal?
9. (Yes or No) Are your legs discolored or bluish?
10. (Yes or No) Do you smoke currently? Do you have a history of smoking?
11. (Yes or No) Do you or a family member have diabetes?
12. (Yes or No) Do you or a family member have high cholesterol?
13. (Yes or No) Do you or a family member have high blood pressure or hypertension?
14. (Yes or No) Do you or a family member have/had coronary artery disease (CAD) or heart attack?
15. (Yes or No) Have you or a family member had a stroke, mini-stroke or TIA?